- Requests for genealogy information may be mailed, faxed or emailed.
- Mail: 322 S. Wayne Street, Angola, IN 46703 Fax: 260-665-8958
- There are fees for genealogy research requested by those outside of our taxing district. Our taxing district consists of Pleasant and York townships in Steuben County, Indiana. If a request exceeds the time our reference staff has available, it may need to be referred to a member of the Steuben County Genealogical Society.
The fee schedule is as follows:
- No charge for scanned and emailed obituaries on file.
- $2.50 per name – We will research correctly dated obituary. This includes copy, and postage.
- For $5.00 per name a search will be done in The Steuben County Cemetery Book, Obituary File, Steuben County Atlases, Early Landowners Book, 1885 and 1955 History of Steuben County, and the 1920 History of Northeast Indiana. Includes up to 10 copies and postage.
- $10.00 per name – Extended search. (All resources) Includes up to 15 copies, a list of resources outside the library, and postage.
- All searches must be paid upon request. Payment may be made with PayPal.
- Atlases, plat maps and directories
- County histories
- All county census records on microfilm
- Cemetery and death records
- Local newspapers (including short-lived publications from the early days of Steuben Co.)
- Biographical surname files and notebooks
- Local history subject files
- Family history folders
- Published town and family histories
- Many out-of-county, out-of-state, and international genealogical publications
- Family Tree Maker CD-ROMs
- Internet access
- Allen County Public Library
- American Family Immigration History Center:
A searchable database that contains records on the 22 million passengers and ship crew members who passed through Ellis Island between 1892 and 1924. In addition to a basic passenger record (name, ethnicity, place of residence, age, marital status, ship of travel, etc.), users can also view a copy of the original ship manifest (a text version is also available), and even a picture of the ship travelled on! Easy to use, this site is an essential resource for genealogy research online.
- Cemetery Records Online:
This free site offers more than 292,000 records from over 1,800 cemeteries worldwide. Focusing primarily on the US, but including graveyards in Canada, Ireland, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, India, and Japan, among others, the site lists gravestone inscriptions that have been collected by the site authors or contributors. Visitors can browse the records by country or search by surname.
- Family Search:
This site is sponsored by the Mormon Church. Indiana Commission on Public Records:
- Indiana Genealogical Society
- Indiana Historical Bureau
- Indiana Historical Society
A “genealogy reference library and resource center built and maintained by professionals for beginning researchers and experienced family historians.” Includes a primer on genealogy for beginners, a records vault, a reading room, and “research rooms” covering specific countries of origin, military records, immigration records, etc.
- National Archives and Records Administration
More than 200,000 recent obituaries from over 1,200 U.S. newspapers. Search by name, funeral home, state, and/or keyword from text of obituary.
- Rootsweb Genealogical Data Cooperative
- Steuben County Genealogical Society
- Steuben County INGen Web
- The USGenWeb Project
- GENUKI: UK & Ireland Genealogy
Dedicated to England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man. This searchable “virtual reference library” contains links to county and country censuses; church, emigration and immigration, and vital records; cemetery directories; criminal registers; national libraries and archives; museums; heraldry; chronology lists; calendars and date calculators; directories of genealogical societies and family history centers; and more.