Lost Villages of Steuben County Part 2
Ellis - Located on US 20 E about 4 miles east of Angola at Indiana 1
In 1886 William Ellis eatablished a steam sawmill in the southeast quarter of Section 28 in Scott Township. About the same time William Rogers opened a general store across the road from the Ellis Mill and the community became known as Ellis. Along with the General Store, Ellis had a Grist Mill run by Shelvin Nichols, Blacksmith and repair shop run by the Moughlar Brothers, two carriage repair shops one owned by C.P. Richmond and one by Dan Brooks. John Waller had a Cider mill which ran through the season. W. H. Rogers was an agent for wallpaper, Charles Mountz and Bert Wheaton were dealers in all kinds of furs and hides. There were two dressmakers, Mrs. James Waller and Mrs. Alma Patch. Also a sawmill owned by William Mawkhood, a store owned by Ewers and Echard in connection with the post office and telephone office, and the Richmond Hotel. The General store was discontinued in 1935 and torn down.
Ellis, like many other small towns was a place where farmers needing supplies could gather in the evening and hear news of the community and nation. The community became so prosperous the towns people began advertising factory sites. Eventually as businesses closed and people moved away, the thriving town was no more but Ellis is still a place on our maps.